Autumn Succotash is as traditional as Thanksgiving is, rooted in Native American history.
I’m Chef Mireille of Global Kitchen Travels and so happy to be providing some delicious recipes for Chef Natasha of Asiliglam Cooks.
I’m a NYC based food blogger and photographer. Having worked in a lot of NYC kitchens and coming from one of the most diverse families on the planet, you will find both traditional and inspired modern interpretations of recipes from just about every country in the world. My website is a place where food, travel and education meet in one delicious place!If you are a foodie who loves to explore world cuisine, I would love for you to visit me at Global Kitchen Travels. Let’s become friends on Instagram too!
Succotash is as traditional as Thanksgiving is, rooted in Native American history. The essential ingredients are corn and lima beans. This is now a Southern classic and a popular summer salad with okra now a common ingredient.
In the Autumn version of Succotash, I’ve switched out the zucchini often included for pumpkin instead.
Since a lot of people do not like the sliminess of okra, I have roasted the okra with the pumpkin to reduce the slime effect.
- 1 cup pumpkin, cut into small dice
- 8 oz. okra, sliced
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 bacon slices
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 3 cups corn kernels, fresh, canned or frozen (defrosted)
- 2 cups frozen lima beans, defrosted
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes, halved
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon Creole seasoning
- Cook Time: 50 minutes
- Preheat oven to 425 F.
- Toss okra with 1 1/2 tablespoon of the oil, salt and pepper.
- Toss pumpkin with 1 1/2 tablespoon of the oil, salt and pepper.
- Place each in a separate baking pan.
- Roast okra for about 30 minutes, until dry and a little crispy.
- Roast pumpkin for about 20 minutes, until fork tender.
- In a large skillet, place the bacon slices and fry until crispy.
- Remove the bacon but leave the bacon fat in the pan.
- Add onion and garlic. Saute until softened.
- Add corn, lima beans and tomatoes.
- Cook for about 15 minutes until the vegetables have a little char.
- Crumble the bacon.
- Add okra, pumpkin, bacon and Creole Seasoning. Use this Bold Creole Seasoning recipe.
- Stir to combine.
- Serve warm or chilled as a salad.