This salmon in coconut sauce recipe is a combination of humble ingredients made spectacular–it’s easy to whip up with pantry staples and comes together in 20 minutes.
Have you ever just looked in your pantry and had no idea what to make? I think that’s a pretty common thing to do when it comes to prepping dinner. One of my favorite proteins to enjoy is salmon. It’s versatile and can take on many different flavors effortlessly. I was challenged by The Good Dish to use my pantry staples to get dinner on the table in about 15 minutes. I ofcourse grabbed salmon and decided to use some pantry staples to elevate the versatile fish.
Pantry staples use:
Microwavable jasmine rice
You can really use this method with any protein but I find that it’s best with seafood. It’s particularly tasty with shrimp as well! Same exact method, even quicker cook time!
How to make my salmon in coconut sauce:
Combining the salmon with a few fresh ingredients and pantry staples is really what sets this meal apart. First, season the salmon with salt, pepper. Next, sear it in olive oil for 2-3 minutes per side until the salmon is 90% cooked. Set the salmon aside and saute your red bell pepper, onion, garlic, scallion, thyme and diced tomatoes until fragrant, about 2 minutes. Once fragrant, pour in your coconut milk and bring the sauce to a simmer. Season the sauce and add a pinch of sugar to bring out the sweetness of the coconut milk. Once the sauce begins to thicken, after about 4 minutes, add the salmon to the sauce, cover and simmer and allow the salmon to cook through for an additional 5 minutes. Cook the jasmine rice according to package in instructions and serve with lots of sauce and salmon on top.
- 1 lb salmon, sliced into cubes or filets
- 1 stalk of green onion/ scallion
- 1 sprig of fresh thyme
- 7 oz diced tomatoes (half a small can)
- 1/2 a red bell pepper, chopped
- 1/2 a small white onion, chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 tsp of sugar
- 1 tbsp of all purpose seasoning
- 1 13.5oz can of coconut milk
- Salt + pepper to taste
- 1 tbsp of olive oil to sauté veggies and sear salmon
- 1 tbsp of butter
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Microwaveable jasmine rice
- Season salmon with salt and pepper and sear in a non stick skillet with olive oil on medium heat for about 2-3 minutes per side until salmon is brown on each side
- Remove salmon and set aside
- To the same skillet on medium heat, add butter. Once melted add red bell pepper, scallion, thyme and onion and sauté until fragrant, about a minute, then add garlic and sauté for another 30 seconds.
- Add diced tomatoes and season with salt and pepper to taste
- Add coconut milk and bring to a simmer
- Add sugar and all purpose seasoning and stir well
- Add salmon back to the coconut sauce and cover and simmer for 5 minutes until salmon is cooked through and sauce has slightly thickened
- Serve with jasmine rice and enjoy