It’s National Fried Chicken Day so it’s only right that I fry some chicken, right? These crispy sweet chili garlic nuggets are seasoned to perfection and the sauce really takes them to the next level. Battered in a simple flour breading and seasoned with Ethiopian Berbere, these nuggets are the perfect weeknight treat. Be careful because you can easily eat all of these in one sitting.
Fried chicken is something I love eating but despise cooking so I tend to look for easier ways to prepare it. These crispy sweet chili garlic nuggets give you all the satisfaction of fried chicken without all the work. They come together in no time and are so yummy that even the kids will love them! You can choose to leave the sauce out for the kids but it has a nice sweetness from the sweet chili sauce that the kids might actually like if they enjoy a little spice.
To make the crispy sweet chili garlic nuggets, I would recommend just buying a pack of large chicken breasts and chopping them up yourself for the best results. You can use my favorite knives to make prepping in the kitchen easier. Use code NATASHA15 for 15% off your purchase at check out.
Using the berbere seasoning is a must! I’ve been using berbere to season fried chicken ever since I heard that what’s Marcus Samuelsson uses in his fried chicken at Red Rooster in Harlem. I decided to try it and I’ve never left it out ever since. You can find berbere spice at most major grocery stores but I grabbed mine at Whole Foods.
Serve these crispy sweet chili garlic nuggets straight up with some homemade sweet potato fries or make it healthy by serving some roasted vegetables, either way, I hope you make them and enjoy.
If you make this dish be sure to tag me at @asiliglamcooks on Instagram so that I can re-post.
Crispy Sweet Chili Garlic Nuggets
- 2 large chicken breasts cut into nugget sized portions
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1/8 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp berbere seasoning
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/4 tsp chicken bouillon
- 1 egg
- canola oil for frying
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 tsp berbere seasoning
- 1 tsp all purpose seasoning
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- salt and pepper to taste
For sweet chili garlic sauce
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1/3 cup sweet chili sauce
- 1/3 cup Franks red hot buffalo sauce
- 1 tbsp Cholula Hot Sauce, Chili Garlic
- splash of water
- Cut chicken breast into 2 inch nugget sized portions
- In a bowl, add chicken, drizzle with olive oil and season with salt, pepper, berbre, garlic powder, onions powder and chicken boullion.
- Add egg to the chicken and mix well with your hands hands
- To another shallow bowl add flour and season with berbre and all purpose seasoning, salt and pepper to taste
- Bread chicken in flour a few pieces at a time, shaking off the excess flour
- Set chicken on a wire rack until you have coated all the chicken
- Heat oil in a shallow frying pan and fry chicken nuggets on each side until golden brown all over, about 4-5 minutes total
- While chicken fries, in a separate sauce pan, on medium-low heat add butter. Once butter melts, add sweet chilli sauce, hot sauce and splash of water. Stir and bring to a low simmer for 2 minutes.
- Once the chicken is done frying add the chicken into the sauce and coat well
- Serve immediatly
P.S. check out my last post here.