This whole oven roasted salmon is the most juicy and tender salmon recipe you will ever make– seasoned to perfection with warm spices and herbs, this salmon bakes up in the oven in just under 20 minutes and is a dish the entire family will love.
I love salmon so much and I’m constantly trying to experiment with different ways to prepare my favorite fish. When I make the regular individually portioned salmon filets they don’t last more than a second in my house. Wegman’s sells the whole salmon family sized portion for about thirty bucks so I figured i would give it a try and bake the entire salmon so it could last us a few days. We can eat it as a main protein with sides or enjoy it as my husband does on salads throughout the week.
I normally prepare my salmon filets by first searing them on the stove but because I wanted to keep the filet in shape I decided to just roast the entire salmon in the oven. I love this method because the salmon retains so much moisture and comes out perfectly cooked with little effort on my part. It also makes for a gorgeous presentation if you have a big crowd to feed during the upcoming holiday season.
I don’t know about you but I have plenty of family members who are strictly pescatarians so having salmon on deck is a must. I love this way of preparing the salmon because it guarantee’s that you will have more than enough to go around.
Next time you’re in the grocery store pick up that family sized salmon and use this recipe. You will absolutely love how the whole oven roasted salmon comes out, trust me!
Here’s what you need for the recipe:
1 whole salmon (family size) about 3 pounds
Tools you’ll need:
Large baking tray
Can I make this with regular salmon filets?
Of course you can! I just recommend the whole family sized portion for roasting because it retains nice moisture when it’s cooked whole but you can totally use this recipe for your individual salmon portions as well.
Can I use this recipe with any other type of fish?
I think that this recipe will work with any mild fish like snapper or even cod, but I haven’t tried it on other fish types so I can’t confirm for sure.
Can I air fry this?
Only if your air fryer is big enough to hold an entire family portioned salmon, if not you’ll have to cut it up into portions and air fry in batches.
- 1 whole salmon (family size) about 3 pounds
- 1 tbsp Brown sugar
- 1 tbsp Italian seasoning
- 1 tbsp Onion powder
- 1 tbsp Garlic powder
- ½ tbsp Seafood seasoning
- ½ tbsp Chili powder
- 1 tsp of Kosher Salt plus more to taste
- 1 tsp Cinnamon
- 1 tbsp Olive oil
- 1 lemon
- Heat oven to 375 degrees and place the top rack as close as it can get to the broiler
- Combine seasoning blend in a small bowl and mix well to combine (you can taste the seasoning blend before adding it to the salmon to ensure you have enough salt)
- On a lined baking tray, place salmon flesh side up and drizzle salmon with olive oil and liberally sprinkle the seasoning blend all over the salmon. Use your hands to rub the seasoning blend into the salmon, ensuring you are seasoning both sides (you can remove or keep the skin on the salmon)
- Once salmon is seasoned, place it in the top rack of the oven and bake for 15-20 minutes (depending on thickness of salmon) and cook until internal temperature registers at 145 degrees
- You can broil the salmon on high for a minute extra if desired before serving
- Drizzle with fresh lemon juice and serve warm
P.S. Check out my last recipe here.