These easy baked chicken leg quarters are juicy, flavorful to the bone and super easy to put together. All you need are leg quarters and some pantry staple spices to make this delicious meal.
I usually grab a pack of chicken leg quarters when grocery shopping because the price is always too good to pass up. Even if I have no idea what I want to do with them, I put them in the cart. The value for leg quarters is unmatched and in this economy with inflation, it’s nice to have something that still feels like a steal!
Chicken leg quarters are super versatile and you can make them in a variety of ways but I love baking them in the oven until they are fall off the bone tender. Since leg quarters tend to be quite meaty it’s important to use the right spices that will penetrate the meat to the bone and leave you with super flavorful meat.
The spice blend I came up with for this recipe was simple but really packed a punch. I used a combination of garlic powder, chili powder, cumin, black pepper and kosher salt. I can still taste the chicken now and it was flavorful to the bone. Even my picky 2 year old toddler loved it! I was so surprised! He is a stickler for textures and he was literally taking the chicken off his dads plate lol If you have young children this might be a great recipe to try for the entire family.
Let’s jump into the the recipe.
- 4 large chicken leg quarters, trimmed of fat
- 2 tbsp garlic powder
- 2 tsp cumin
- 2 tsp chili powder
- Kosher salt and black pepper to taste
- 2 tbsp of olive oil to create a paste for the spice blend
- Heat oven to 375 degrees
- In a small bowl combine seasoning blend and add olive oil until a paste is formed
- Pat chicken dry then apply an even amount of the paste to the chicken and massage the chicken front and back as well as under the skin
- Line a baking tray with foil and assemble chicken in an even layer
- Bake on the middle rack of the oven for one hour, you know the chicken has cooked long enough when the meat begins pulling away from the bone on the drumstick
- For the last 10 minutes of cooking increase the heat on the oven to a low broil or 450 degrees and cook until the skin is crisp and a nice golden brown color is achieved
- Remove chicken from oven and serve
- You can use the drippings from the chicken to make a gravy if desired
If you’re wondering the recipe for the rice can be found here.