Short Rib Chow mein is an easy and quick noodle dish to put together during the busy weeknight meal prep rush–the leftover short rib is tender and savory while the freshness of the vegetables adds lightness to the dish.
Like most of you reading this post I love noodles! Chow mein is a Chinese dish made from stir-fried noodles with vegetables and sometimes meat or tofu. I decided to add short rib this time because I had some leftover from a previous dish and short ribs are just too good only to eat one way! I used the vegetables I had in my refrigerator so please feel free to use this as inspiration and add whatever veggies you have or prefer. There are no rules with this type of stir fry–just don’t skip the short ribs–that’s what really makes this pop! If you need a short rib recipe, here is a quick and easy Instant Pot version. If you have time–throw it in the oven and let is cook low and slow like I did in this version.
Regardless of how you arrive to leftover short ribs you definitely want to save a couple pieces to try this recipe. My husband loved this one and he is really not the biggest fan of noodles so that says a lot. I think the short rib is surprising and makes for a nice and hearty stir fry. Because short ribs are so decadent you don’t need much a heavy sauce like most stir frys call for. I just added a few dashes of soy sauce and oyster sauce. If you have some of that left over juice that the short ribs cooked in feel free to throw a little bit of that in to hydrate the noodles.
Overall this is a really easy weeknight dinner idea–especialy if you already have the short ribs ready to do. This will take you 15 minutes max. If you don’t enjoy leftovers and you like a fresh new meal like I do most nights then this is a quick and easy way to give leftover short ribs some new life.
I hope you’ll give this short rib chow mein recipe a try!
- 2-3 meaty leftover short ribs, bone and fat removed and shredded
- 1/2 a package of chow mein noodles, cooked according to package instructions
- 1 small white onion, sliced
- 3 cups of fresh spinach leaves
- 1/2 small red bell pepper, sliced
- 1/2 yellow bell pepper, sliced
- 1/2 green bell pepper, sliced
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp oyster sauce
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Kosher salt and pepper to taste
- Shred leftover short ribs, remove bone and fat and set aside
- Cook chow mein noodles according to package instructions, drain and set aside
- In a deep skillet or wok, add olive oil and bring heat to medium high
- Quickly saute veggies until tender, about 2 minutes, then add salt and pepper
- Add cooked noodles, shredded short rib meat, soy sauce and oyster sauce
- Mix well with tongs and ensure everything is well combined
- Serve warm and enjoy