This turkey taco chili makes the perfect weeknight fall meal– loaded with beans, ground turkey meat, and flavored with taco seasoning, the entire family will be coming back for more.
Turkey taco chili is something I first saw one of my favorite food bloggers Skinnytaste make years ago. It’s been the base of my turkey chili recipe ever since. I’ve told you guys before, but I’ll say it again, I probably make chili different every time. I think it’s because it’s one of those meals where you just dump whatever you have on hand and the flavor usually won’t be impacted. I like to use what I have vs. going to the store for something I might have missing. Chili is very forgiving and if you don’t have a specific ingredient that’s listed just improvise. Your chili will still come out fine, trust me! The only things you really need to make sure you use to achieve the same flavor are taco seasoning, chipotle tabasco, liquid smoke, white beans, and red kidney beans. You can make this with turkey meat or any other ground meat you prefer.
Ingredients you’ll need for my turkey taco chili:
Ground turkey meat
Salt + pepper
Red kidney beans
White cannellini beans
Red bell pepper
Tools you’ll need:
Can I use ground beef instead of ground turkey?
Yes, you can use any ground meat that you prefer in this recipe. I like the taste of ground turkey and it’s leaner than ground beef.
Can I freeze this chili?
Yes, you can freeze the chili in an air-tight vacuum-sealed container once cooled.
Can I substitute the liquid smoke?
No, I would recommend omitting it if you can’t find it. Liquid smoke is a great pantry staple that adds great flavor. It gives you that smoky taste without actually smoking the food. The only replacement for that is to actually smoke the chili.
- 1 lb ground turkey meat
- 1oz of taco seasoning or 2 tbsp
- Salt + pepper to taste
- 1 tsp liquid smoke
- 1/2 tbsp chipotle tabasco, more if you like it spicier
- 1 tbsp worchestire sauce
- 1 15 oz can of red kidney beans
- 1 15oz can white cannellini beans
- 1 15 oz diced tomatoes
- ¾ cup of chicken stock
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp of tomato paste
- 1 onion, diced
- ½ a red bell pepper, diced
- ½ a green bell pepper, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, diced
- In a large stock pan, add butter and olive oil on medium heat
- Add tomato paste and stir for 3 minutes until paste visibly begins to turn a deeper red color
- To the same pan, add onions and bell peppers, stirring for 5 minutes until soft
- Add garlic and stir for 30 seconds
- Next, add ground turkey and crumble with a wooden spoon
- Add taco seasoning and mix
- Add worcestershire sauce, liquid smoke, and tabasco
- Add drained beans and diced tomatoes with liquid and stir
- Cover and simmer for 10 minutes, allowing the turkey meat to release its own liquid naturally
- Add chicken stock, and mix chili.
- Cover for 30 minutes, stirring every 10 minutes or so to ensure the chili is not sticking to the bottom of the pan
- Chilli is done, when meat is tender and liquid is thick and a rich consistency is achieved
More recipes to try:
Beef short ribs
If you make this recipe be sure to tag me @asiliglamcooks so I can repost!