Sometimes dinner needs to be ready in a flash–when time calls for that you need to try my tiger shrimp stir fry that’s ready in just 15 minutes. Tender pieces of sautéed tiger shrimp cooked with a medley of fresh vegetables and finished with a sweet tangy sauce.
The first thing you might be thinking is what is tiger shrimp and why have I never heard of that before? Well, according to seapedia.net, black tiger shrimp get their name from the dark stripes that encircle the shell of the black tiger. Black tiger shrimp are also known as giant tiger prawns, or tigers. When cooked, tiger shrimp meat turns white and the black stripes on the shell turn bright red. This is one of the most popular varieties of shrimp on the Asian, European, and American markets. It’s a super common shrimp type but I’ve found that the name is being advertised more prevalently vs. just calling the shrimp colossal or jumbo.
They taste just the same as regular shrimp but are bigger, and meatier. If you like large shrimp then this variety is a must try. I had a frozen pack in my freezer and wanted to use them up so I decided to make a quick tiger shrimp stir fry. I love a good stir fry because it’s a nice way to clean out the refrigerator but also use leftover vegetables that otherwise wouldn’t be used together.
You can make this dish with the sauce or without the sauce depending on what you have a taste for. Adding the sauce gives the dish a more Asian flavor profile. Without the sauce the dish is still delicious, just a little more crisp.
I like to pair this stir fry with a nice side of brown rice to keep it healthy and well balanced. This is a great meal prep option if you’re looking for ideas on things that cook quickly and taste good the next day. This dish has minimal ingredients and comes together in about 15 minutes or less.
This goes without saying, but if you can’t find black tiger shrimp or don’t have access to it just use regular shrimp or whatever seafood you like! Stir fry’s are meant to be versatile and easy. Grab what you have on hand and this this recipe as guide to get you started.
Let’s jump into the recipe.
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 lb black tiger shrimp
- 1 tsp Adobo seasoning
- 1/2 tsp Old Bay seasoning
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 package of stir fry vegetables (fresh or frozen)
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1 tbsp mirin
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tbsp sriracha
- 2 tbsp water to loosen sauce
- White sesame seeds to garnish
- On medium heat, In a wok or large non stick skillet add olive oil
- Once hot add shrimp and season to taste
- Allow shrimp to cook until almost cooked through, about 3 minutes
- Remove shrimp and add stir fry vegetable medley and butter
- Saute until fragrant and slightly soft, about 5 minutes
- While vegetables are cooking, assemble sauce by combining all ingredients in a small bowl and whisking well to combine
- Next, add shrimp back to the vegetables and cover with sauce
- Toss everything together and heat through for another 4 minutes or until shrimp are fully cooked through and vegetables are nice and tender
- Finish with garnish and serve warm over prepared brown rice
If you don't have mirin on hand use extra brown sugar for sweetness