My coconut braised oxtail is tender, fall off the bone and simmered in a spiced coconut cream sauce– perfect for your next Sunday dinner.
If you’ve been following me for a while then you, like most people, I have a deep love for oxtail. It’s delicious, tender and makes for a special meal however it’s prepared. I was inspired by Courtnee Fetch’s coconut braised short ribs with this dish to make this coconut braised oxtail and the flavors did not disappoint.
I’m use to oxtail just simmering in a regular beef broth and finished with a nice thick gravy with the addition of some sort of beans, be it butter beans or pigeon peas. Never, had I made oxtail simmered in a full on coconut sauce infused with Thai curry and lots of other Asian inspired flavors.
The sauce was so good, it could be served by itself without the oxtail but with the addition of the oxtail everything is just taken to a whole new level.
If you’re like me and you enjoy experimenting with new recipes and flavors then this is the next recipe for you to try. Most of the ingredients you probably already have in your pantry or fridge, with the exception of the oxtail–we all know how pricey that can be! But this is a special recipe, so head to the butcher and treat yourself! Two pounds of oxtail will do the trick for this recipe, just make sure the butcher cuts the oxtail in nice manageable pieces. We don’t want dinosaur oxtail for this one lol
Once you have all the ingredients, all you need is a lazy Sunday to get this dinner going in the oven nice and slow. Be warned you need about 3 hours and some change from start to finish to get this dish on the table so plan accordingly.
Other than that, I think you are more than prepared to make this dish so let’s jump right into the recipe.
- 2 pounds of oxtail, trimmed of fat
- 2 tsp kosher salt
- 2 tsp all purpose seasoning
- 1 tbsp all spice
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 sprig of scallion, smashed
- 5 pimento seeds
- 2 tbsp olive oil, divided
For braising liquid:
- 1 cup of mirepoix (onion, carrot, celery mix)
- 1 tsp Garlic paste
- 1/4 cup Thai red curry sauce
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tsp fish sauce
- 1 tbsp light brown sugar
- 1 can unflavored coconut milk
- 2 cups beef broth
- 1 Bunch of fresh parsley
- Heat oven to 300 degrees
- In a mixing bowl, season oxtail cover and marinate for as long as you have or continue to the next step
- Heat a large braising pot with olive oil on medium heat
- Sear oxtail on all sides until golden brown, about 3 minutes per side
- Remove oxtail once brown and set aside
- To the same pot, add mirepoix and saute until fragrant, about 1 minute
- Next, add garlic paste, Thai curry, soy sauce, fish sauce and brown sugar
- Mix well to combine, then add coconut milk and beef broth
- Bring to a gentle simmer and add oxtail back to the liquid with a bunch of parsley
- Cover and turn off heat and transfer to the oven
- Bake at 300 degrees for 2 hours then increase heat to 375 for another hour or until meat is pulling away from the bone easily
- Add hot water as needed during the braising process
- Once oxtail is tender, remove from the oven, separate meat from liquid then strain liquid
- After liquid is strained, remove any excess fat from the liquid then reduce to desired consistency on medium low heat
- Serve oxtail with pureed sweet potato, sautéed bok choy lots of sauce and enjoy